Saturday, July 02, 2005

Language

I remember back a few years to when I was a child, even my teen years, and I'm thinking when
did vile and abusive language become just everyday words?
What I'm talking about is Curse or some of us know them as cuss words, when did they become socially excepted as everyday words?
When I was little and somebody cussed it usually meant run! somebody was stinkin mad and somebody else was going to get it!
Now you hear people talk and these cuss words are part of their everyday conversations!
"Hey how the F you been", " good to efin see ya".
So heres my questions.
1. Have we just become numb to these words and don't care?
2. Have they just become socially excepted and tolerated?
3.Do we not want to Rock the Boat by telling others we don't appreciate that type of language?

I'm not saying I dont have to watch my mouth from time to time, I just dont see the pleasure of saying these words or the need to anymore.
Someone help me out.

3 comments:

Russell said...

I have people apologize to me from time to time when they swear because they know I won't. At least they are cognizant that there are others around them. To me it makes no sense to use such language. I think for most it is a way of fitting in and after time they do it without even thinking. I've never asked anyone to knock it off (I guess I may once Tanner gets old enough to know what they mean), but I always try to be a light in the darkness. They notice... whether or not they say anything to you, they notice.

Kodiak said...

I've have people apologise to me also. I have also been paid the hightest compliment; "your different, you don't swear", or something to that effect. People don't feel comfortable around those like us who don't swear. It's like turning the light on and watch the cochroaches run.

Doug E. Pudge said...

You know, you just have to let people know how you feel and most will respect it. That has been my experience. BBT