Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Somebody Show Me!!

I had a conversation with a fellow Christian Brother today and explain what had happened at our church.
He is a very devout Christian, someone who had ministered to me when I had first started at work, as a matter of fact he was responsible for hiring me.
I have much respect for him.
Here though is my problem or situation that I encountered when talking with him today.
He is a traditional church of Christ member, and anyone who knows our situation at church can understand where I'm about to go with this.
Why is it that people can tell you, what you can't do during a church service but they can't tell you why?
You can't play music because they didn't do it in the first century! O.K.
You can't clap hands because they didn't do it in the early church! O.K.
So who said that anything that is done in a church service today was done in the New Testament service of worship?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.
But did the early church have service in a church building?
Did someone sing two songs, did they read scripture, did someone pray?
Did they pass around communion in metal holders, and then take up a tithe,
did their preacher get up and give a sermon on Jesus or Moses.
My whole point is this, Why can people tell you what not to do, But they can't show you what God said you should do!
maybe I'm missing the whole story?
I don't think I've read anything that says church service should be in this systematic order?
Church should be about helping others to see the way to the father, ministering to unbelievers as well as the Brothers and Sisters in our church family and other believers.
You need to believe that Christ is the son of God , you need to be baptized, you need to congregate, and share communion with God.
So to end my point, most churches do these things, but then they add what they want?
Does God want us to clutter our worship with these things that we add?
I don't know.
But don't tell me that the clutter in your church service is any better than the clutter in my church service!
All worship has been changed by man since the disciples went from city to city preaching the gospel of our lord and savior Jesus Christ.
But as long as it is led by the Holy Spirit does that make it wrong?
Someone please correct me with what the Bible says, NOT an opinion of what they believe!

Im through venting, with love.

4 comments:

where's jim? said...

Many believe you can use ever changing modern methods that are at our disposposal to bring non-believers and the believing un-churched to Jesus without compromsing biblical message. Anything other than that is religion. Whereever two or three are gathered in His name, He is there.

Swinging Sammy said...

Throughout the early church, there were various ways of worship. In First Corinthians, Paul addressed these, saying worship should be orderly. He didn't say, "Don't sing, or play music, or clap, etc." The specifics of church worship were intentionally left out of his letters so that people could find a style of worship that brought people in their communities to the Way. So to debase a particular style of worship is not correct. I could say, "That's not my style, so I don't care for it." But to strike out at it without scripture backing, is against the Christian way. There are times that we must say that celebration services are wrong, and that is when the style is in direct conflict with the teachings of Jesus. I have never seen this, but I suppose if there were people dancing naked, or praising someone other than God Almighty, then that would be the time to speak up.
"In matters of faith, unity; in matters of opinion, liberty; in all things, love." Bless you today.

Russell said...

Love ya Jay!! and a big AMEN!

Doug E. Pudge said...

I obviously missed this one before Blogfast '05. I want to start out by stating how proud I am of this guy. I began tearing up when I read through his thoughts on this. Why, 'cause I know the road it took to get him to where he is now. I have personally seen God move into his life. But enough of that 'cause I could go on and on for many pages about why I am proud of my nephew. Jay, listen to a man who taught the teachings of the old time C of C ways. I can use scripture and show you why most believe that these teachings of accepella singing and structured worship are correct. But I believe that the use of such things is a misapplication of the original intent of scripture. It's a process called proof texting. Proof texting is where you come to a conclusion (ie singing without instruments) and you dig through scripture trying to find a way to prove it. Of course you miss a few things along the way. Let me end by saying this, when I taught these very same things I did it out of faith and conviction. I really and truly believed that this is what God wanted. Fortunately, I believe God has opened my eyes. My suggestion is, when appropriate, getting these people to show you the scriptures for their beliefs. Then, when you get their take on it, you can seek out the meaning of these same scriptures and go back and re-ask the same questions. I am getting too long here, but the whole idea is to make folks (self included) scripturally accountable for what they believe. BBT!